Prosecution for Stolen Materials
PROSECUTION FOR THE RETURN OF LIBRARY MATERIALS
Acts of 1980, Public Law No. 206
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:
(a) If a person:
(1) borrows any article which belongs to or is in the care of any
library, gallery, museum, collection, or exhibition:
(2) borrows the article under an agreement to return the article
within a specified period of time; and
(3) fails to return the article within that specified period of time;
then the lender shall comply with subsection (b).
(b) If a person commits those acts specified in subsection (a), the
(1) send written notification of the violation of the agreement
to the borrower;
(2) attach a copy of this section to the notice;
(3) include in the notice a request for return on the article within
fifteen (15) days of receipt of the notice; and
(4) mail the notice to the last known address of the borrower or
deliver it to the borrower in person.
The lender shall send the notice required by
the subsection by Certified or registered mail,
return receipt requested.
(c) If the borrower willfully or knowingly fails to return the article within thirty (30) days of receipt of the notice required in Subsection (b), he commits a Class C infraction.
(d) A person who commits an offense under this section may not be
Charged with an offense under section 2 or 3 of this chapter for
the same act. (IC 35-43-4-3.5
The penalty for a Class C infraction is a fine of not more than $500 (IC 35-50-4-4)